First Presbyterian Church of Marion, Iowa
U.S. National Register of Historic Places
The First Presbyterian Church in 2013.
Show map of Iowa
Show map of the US
802 12th Street
42°02′04″N 91°35′50″W / 42.034411°N 91.597094°W / 42.034411; -91.597094Coordinates: 42°02′04″N 91°35′50″W / 42.034411°N 91.597094°W / 42.034411; -91.597094
Frank M. Ellis, et al.
NRHP Reference #
Added to NRHP
July 24, 1992
First Presbyterian Church is located in Marion, Iowa, United States. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1992.
2 Social Ministry
4 External links
The church was organized on February 5, 1842. There were originally nine members, many of whom transferred their membership from the Linn Grove Presbyterian Church near Springville, Iowa. It was originally called the Old School Presbyterian Church. While that generally refers to it being conservative, it also meant in the years before the Civil War that it was anti-slavery.
Initially the congregation met for services in public buildings, including the Linn County courthouse, which was in Marion at that time. There was no pastor in the early years. The Rev. Salmon Cowles, a Presbyterian missionary based in Keokuk, visited about four times a year. The Marion and Linn Groves churches shared the Rev. J.S. Fullerton as a pastor starting in 1849.
Property on Market Street (now Tenth Street) was purchased for $60 in 1851. It took five years to build a church building with volunteer labor. In 1852 a Sunday School was organized. At the same time the Rev. Alexander S. Marshall began a nearly 40 year pastorate with the church. He saw that construction was finished on the church.
The congregation grew and planning for a new building was begun. Construction on the present Gothic Revival structure began in July 1884. Stone for the building was hauled in from Stone City, Iowa. The church was dedicated on September 27, 1885. The Westminster House was the first major addition since the church was built, and was built from 1954-56. A kitchen and a new Moller organ was purchased at the same time. A major remodeling project occurred in 1967, which included a new ceiling and new pews. A 1988 addition was built and it included a lounge, choir r